Special Needs Pediatric Transportation Safety Program
Sometimes, a child's special healthcare needs may require additional support or attention during transportation in order to keep them safe. Our program is staffed by physical and occupational therapists who have received training in transporting children with special healthcare needs and hold Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST) certifications.
Some common medical conditions served by this program are:
- Prematurity, low birth weight
- Orthopedic conditions and casts
- Cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular disorders
- Autism and related disorders
- Down's Syndrome
Car Seat Evaluation
Therapists evaluate each patient and determine the appropriate seating solution that will work for the child, the caregivers and the family vehicle. Outpatient evaluations require a prescription from the doctor.
The fitting for a special needs car seat occurs over two appointments:
- The first appointment consists of a physical therapy evaluation, assessment of current transportation and fitting in demonstration restraints. A letter of medical necessity is written based on assessment.
- During the second appointment, the car seat will be properly adjusted to fit the child, and installed in the vehicle.
Please call (225) 765-8743 for more information. A physician referral may be faxed to (225) 765-3442.