The Center for Psychiatric Services
An LSU-Our Lady of the Lake Psychiatry Residency Program
The Center for Psychiatric Services is a LSU – Our Lady of the Lake Psychiatric Residency Clinic. Our residents are medical doctors in their third and fourth year of psychiatric residency. We offer outpatient behavioral health treatment for a variety of mental illnesses at discounted rates. Treatment is offered in a variety of methods, including:
- New Patient Adult and Adolescent Visits
- Follow – up appointments
- Therapy visits
- Group Therapy
No physician referral required. Simply call and schedule an appointment with one of our resident physicians.
New Patient and Follow-up Appointments
Our physicians see patients at age six and older. New patient appointments consist of a 120 minute, psychiatric evaluation with a resident psychiatrist, staffed by an attending psychiatrist. The goal of the evaluation is to make the correct diagnosis in each patient and to develop a unique treatment plan based on that diagnosis.
Follow up visits are determined by the plan of care established in the initial evaluation and can consist of medication management, therapy, group therapy, a referral for formal psychoeducational testing, or a referral to an alternate behavioral health program.
While medication is often one key element in successful treatment of mental illness, psychotherapy, support groups and knowledge about the illness are also essential components of the treatment process. The most useful psychotherapies generally focus on understanding the illness (psychoeducation), and on learning how to cope and change ineffective patterns of thinking. Therapy visits are scheduled as regular 60 minute appointments.
Group counseling is a powerful and valuable venue for healing and growth. It gives group members the opportunity to change by learning from experience, to see themselves more clearly, and ultimately for each member to accomplish the goals that he/she sets forth for himself/herself.
Some of the ways change occurs include:
- The provision of a confidential and emotionally safe environment in which members are able to feel understood and valued for who they really are.
- The development of a deeper and more accurate understanding of one’s self in relationships with others.
- Investment by both facilitators and members to produce a consistent, growth oriented group experience that can be applied to life outside of the group.
- Reliable attendance, honesty, mutual respect, empathy, focus on feelings, compassion, and interpersonal feedback.
Call (225) 374-0400 to schedule an appointment.
Monday – Friday. 8:00 am to 5 pm
5131 O’Donovan Dr., Ste. 300
Baton Rouge, LA 70808